The Acting Intensive is a one-year programme for people with previous experience in the performing arts to develop their practical and academic ability.
Acting Intensive students must have previous experience in performance – formal drama training and involvement in productions, or entry to international examinations are a requirement for entry into this programme.
Students attend over 300 guided learning hours of training over our year together, during which they receive practical and theoretical training. The curriculum includes the following modules:
- Theatre History
- Theatre Skills (Acting Technique, Improvisation, Devising)
- Theatre Arts (Voice Technique, Movement)
Durban Actors Studio is a registered examination centre for LAMDA. Students will enter the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art, Grade 8 (Advanced) examinations, RQF Level 3 certification status. Since 2012 students who have entered the Grade 8 Advanced LAMDA exams have achieved stunning results, many have used the qualification to extend their training at territory institutes in South Africa and overseas.
We firmly believe in laying strong foundations for young performers who are considering a career in the arts sector. The Acting Intensive programme is based in practical skills development and hands-on practice to consolidate theory work. In addition to the exam track training, we will host speakers and lecturers who are working industry professionals to give insight on their field of expertise such as arts administration, budgeting, funding, branding and management of the artist.
Students of the Acting Intensive programme will have the opportunity to showcase their work to the public at our annual showcase at the end of their academic year. Invited guests to this event will include representatives of tertiary institutions, casting agents and industry professionals.
Students will perform for invited VIPs, talent agents, local directors and industry professionals, as well as family and friends, at our year-end in studio showcase.
Days/Times and Fees
Days and Times
Students must be available to attend classes during the day Tuesdays and Thursdays during a school term.
Training will start each day at 09h30.
R 37 200
The above includes:
- R 1,200 nonrefundable deposit required to secure your place in this programme
- Over 300 guided learning hours, covering theory, practice, rehearsal and performance time
- All study materials and scripts
- All LAMDA examination fees
- All production costs (rights, royalties and facilities)
- Access KickstArt Theatre Productions shows throughout the year
- Attendance of KickstArt Theatre Productions rehearsals / professional working processes, as stipulated by the company
Bi-annual or quarterly payment plans can be arranged.
- This is not a South African accredited certificate, diploma or degree programme.
- Students who pass the end of year exam will receive a UK RQF Level 3 certificate awarded by London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art (LAMDA).
- No matric certificate required to join BUT students must have previous experience in performance.
- Applicants must attend an interview at Durban Actors Studio to be considered for this programme.
- This class is not registered with NSFAS.
- Fluency in English is essential – the language of performance is English, as per LAMDA examination rules.