Impulse is a weekly acting class which offers a continuous group training environment to develop and expand your acting technique. Training is progressive and continuous, with a practical approach to key elements of the Stanislavski System to build a strong foundation for your approach to any role, on stage or screen. As a student of Impulse, you will learn to:
- understand text and subtext
- develop vocal control
- improve articulation and respond vocally to the demands of a role
- perform with spontaneity and focus
- develop an understanding of body language, posture and gesture
- portray characters from different periods and genres
- use the performance space effectively
Our weekly classes are intended to develop and refine practical skills, they are not credit-bearing and not registered on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF). Certificates of Attendance are handed out at the end of an academic year and only when a student has undertaken at least 3 terms with the studio.
Frequently Asked Questions
- No formal training or matric certificate required – suitable for all skills levels
- Impulse is not a short course or programme; it is a weekly ongoing skills development class, delivering term on term training
- Fluency in English essential
- No audition and no registration fee
- Minimum of 6, maximum of 12 students per class
- Minimum age 16, no maximum age
Class Day and Time
Students have the option of selecting an evening OR a daytime class.
- Evening Option: every Wednesday as per dates below, 6pm to 7pm
- Daytime Option: every Thursday as per dates below, 11am to 12pm
2018 Class Dates (dates given are the respective Wed & Thurs class options)
- 9 classes per term
- Term 2: start 11/12 April, end 6/7 June – last term 2 registration date 23 April
- Term 3: start 18/19 July, end 12/13 Sept – last term 3 registration date 30 July
- Term 4: start 10/11 Oct, end 5/6 Dec – last term 4 registration date 22 Oct
- Registration automatically closes when the class is full and you will be added to a waiting list
- R 800 per term payable in full before the first class of each term
- Training is continuous and rolls over term to term – notice to stop training MUST be given in writing to email@example.com before a students final class – if notice is not given you will be responsible for settling the following terms fee in full.
- Click the button below to register and/or join the waiting list.
- Please note the online form is a legal and binding training contract – ensure you read T&Cs carefully before submitting.
Recent Success Story
Two Durban Actors Studio adult students, Nomathemba Dlamini and Ajax Mkhwanazi spent three days in studio rehearsing with Peter Court and Londiwe Ngwazi, for a project to benefit schools in rural KZN. Peter is the founder of Creative Madness, an award-winning Durban based production company.
Nomathemba says, “A beautiful highlight, was that the kids were dancing even when they hadn’t been prompted yet! I loved seeing smiles on their faces. One school didn’t have grass but rocks, so the kids had to stand. The little ones in the back couldn’t always hear us, and we had to work hard to be heard.”
Ajax noted that the entire process was enjoyable, from rehearsing the songs and choreography through to the final performances. “A moment that stood out for me was when the kids started singing along with us during the show”, said Ajax. “It meant they understood the message.”
Nomathemba and Ajax have both attended beginners’ acting classes at the studio. This was their first professional production and, says Nomathemba, “I still have so much to learn!”