The Acting Intensive is a one-year programme for people with previous experience in the performing arts. Our programme is designed to develop practical and academic performance skills. Students who want to join this programme must have some form of previous acting experience; this includes school-based drama training, production work, international examination entry at intermediate to advanced levels.
What is Involved
Students attend over 300 guided learning hours during our year together, in which time they receive practical and theoretical training. Our curriculum includes the following modules:
- Theatre History
- Theatre Skills (Acting Technique, Improvisation, Devising)
- Theatre Arts (Voice Technique, Movement)
Durban Actors Studio is a registered examination centre for LAMDA. Students will enter the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art, Grade 8 (Advanced) examinations, RQF Level 3 certification status. Since 2012 students who have entered the Grade 8 Advanced LAMDA exams have achieved stunning results, many have used the qualification to extend their training at tertiary institutes in South Africa and overseas.
We firmly believe in laying strong foundations for young performers who are considering a career in the arts sector. Our programme is designed around practical skills development and rehearsal to consolidate all theory work.
In addition to the exam track training, we host speakers and lecturers who are working industry professionals to give insight on their field of expertise such as arts administration, budgeting, funding, branding and management of the artist.
Students of Acting Intensive will showcase work to the public at our annual showcase at the end of their academic year. Invited guests to this event will include representatives of tertiary institutions, casting agents and industry professionals.
Days/Times and Fees
2019 Application CLOSED
2020 Days and Times
- Tuesdays and Thursdays during a school term
- Training starts at 09h30 each day
- 2020 fees will be loaded mid-2019
- This is not a South African accredited certificate, diploma or degree programme.
- Students who pass the end of year exam will receive a UK RQF Level 3 certificate awarded by London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art (LAMDA).
- No matric certificate required to join BUT students must have previous experience in performance.
- Applicants must attend an interview at Durban Actors Studio to be considered for this programme.
- The Programme is not registered with NSFAS.
- Fluency in English is essential – the language of performance is English, as per LAMDA examination rules.